Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tutorial~Prima Engraver Image Transfer to Aluminum Foil

Howdy beautiful crafty people!

You all already know that I am addicted to mixed media. I've been browsing the web looking for new ideas and techniques that I can add to my projects.  After a bright idea I had to make a steampunk heart, I knew I needed to try a technique that will allow me to wrap some Prima Engraver paper around the rounded shape of the paper mache heart, without having to cut the paper into strips and mod podge it. I wanted something different and something with texture. Aha! {Light bulb moment} Foil!  I thought if I could somehow get the Engraver paper onto the foil the effects would be amazing!  So after a little trial and error I figured it out, and I wanted to share this technique with you all. This is definitely worth a shot.  The textures of the foil is UH-mazing. The possibilities are endless with the amount of things you could do with the finished results.  I am definitely going to play around with this technique on a few more projects.

This is my very first tutorial so bare with me.  I also forgot to take some step by step photos so I just grabbed a few screenshots from my video recording. I promise that I will be better prepared on my next tutorial.

So the materials that you will need:
Designer Paper/Image/Newspaper/Photo
Foil
Mod Podge Matte Finish
Scissors
Paint Brush
Cloth/baby wipe
Spray Bottle

Optional: Canvas (if you are not planning on wrapping the foil around an object its best to adhere the foil onto the canvas before creating the image transfer)

Heat Tool/Oven (you can always let your foil air dry overnight. But for all the impaitent ppl (including myself..lol) a heat tool or the oven will work much quicker). If using the Oven place temp on 250 and allow to bake dry for 5-7 minutes.

After you have gathered all of your materials cut a strip of foil (make it a little bigger than the actual image so you have a little extra foil around the edges).


Next you will need to take your Mod Podge and apply a thick even coat on top of your designer  paper/photo/newspaper. (Put it on the side that you want transfered to the foil). Please note that whatever you use will be reveresed once transferred. So keep that in mind when choosing a scripted paper.


Once the Mod Podge is evenly applied flip your paper/photo over and adhere it to the foil. Be sure to smooth out all the air bubbles, and make sure that it lays flat up against the foil. If you are going for a neat look make sure the foil is smoothed out before applying your paper. If you are going for more of a grungy, distressed look, feel free to crinkle the foil as you see fit.


At this point you will need to let it dry completely before moving to the next step.  You can use your heat tool, or place it in the oven. If placing it in the oven put your heat settings on 250 degrees and let sit for 5-7 minutes or until completely dry.  If you are going to let it air dry then let it sit for 3 hours. Just to be sure that it is completely dry before moving on. If it does not dry all the way you will have parts that wont adhere to the foil.

Once everything is dry you will need to get a baby wipe, or a damp cloth and a spray bottle.  You will spray your cloth to get it fairly damp (does not need to be soaked) then you are going to wipe away the top layer of the designer paper/photo until you see the image begin to show through.



 Once you are finished wiping away the top layer it should look like this


The image will probably look a little "ashy" as I call it. Meaning it will probably look dull, but don't fret because coating it with a thin layer of Mod Podge will bring the image back to life, while also acting as a sealant.


Once it's sealed, go over it with your heat tool to dry it and  cut off the outer edges of the foil. This is how the end result should look.



And Walah! You are done.  Here is a little sneek peek of what I'm working on.


 Stayed tuned to see the completed project. And for those of you crafters who are visual learners (I am) I created a video tutorial for you to watch. Yay!

 
I hope you give this a try for your next project. As always thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting! Ciao.

Muah,

Madame Ro

1 comment: